Values & Ethos
All of the staff at Thomasson share a common approach to your child’s education. A child will only achieve their full potential if they are happy at school.Once we have a child who is settled and confident at Thomasson we can then develop their language and communication skills. This will enable them to access the curriculum and develop their educational ability and social skills
Aims of the school
The school aims:
- To give each child the opportunity to develop their true potential and function to the best of their ability.
- To help the development of a responsible, well adjusted person who is able to take their place in society.
- To ensure that each child achieves the academic levels of which they are capable.
- To provide a stimulating, happy and caring environment which encourages a positive attitude to work, self discipline and respect for others.
To fulfil these aims the school has adopted the following:-
- Teaching approaches using Oral Communication or Sign Supported English.
- A policy of equal opportunities for all pupils.
- The active encouragement of liaison with parents
- The opportunity to integrate with hearing pupils from Devonshire Road County Primary School.
- Individual Communication Programmes using Oral Communication or SSE.
- Individual speech and language teaching/sign tuition.
- The provision of a wide range of appropriate hearing aids.
- Regular audiological assessment.
- Liaison with other professionals.
- Links with the community in particular the deaf community.
NB: Throughout this Statement the term “deaf” is used to denote children who have a range of hearing impairment, forms of communication and cultural orientation.